Winter Blast Virtual Camp
February 26-27, 2021
All camp times are Central Time
- Friday, February 26 – 6:30 pm
- Saturday, February 27 – 9:00 am, 1:00 pm, and 6:30 pm
Camp Odayin’s Winter Blast Virtual Camp is for children with heart disease in grades 1-12, who would benefit from connecting with other young people who may share similar health, emotional, and social concerns. We look forward to welcoming familiar friends and kids who have never attended Camp Odayin before. Campers have an opportunity to meet new heart friends, learn camp songs, and more. There will be cabin groups, crafts, and challenges! Virtual camp will be hosted using the Zoom platform with trained, returning camp counselors, nurses, cardiologists, and Odayin leadership staff. All campers will receive a mailed “camp in a box” which includes a limited edition Odayin stocking cap, fun goodies, activity supplies, and more!
The only charge to a camper is $25. We want all interested heart kids to attend, so there is also an option to pay $0. Camp Odayin will provide free loaned tablets to families who have unreliable or no internet connection or do not have a computer or tablet the camper could use for camp.
Our goal is to build connections and develop friendships so please only sign your camper up if they are able to join all sessions on Friday and Saturday.
Each Winter Blast Virtual Camp gathering will be 60-90 minutes and will engage kids in ‘all-camp’ activities and small cabin group time. Campers are expected to join each of the 4 online gatherings and stay for the entire segment with their video on. Our goal is to build connections and develop friendships.
Parents of registered winter campers will receive an email the week of February 15th with information to access a password protected webpage including the camp schedule, virtual camp Zoom login details, and a supply list.
Camp Odayin will provide free loaned iPads to families who have unreliable or no internet connection or do not have a computer or tablet the camper could use for virtual camp. Tablets will be mailed directly to campers’ homes for use during the two days of virtual camp. Following camp, on Monday, March 1st, families must use the pre-paid shipping label to return the loaned tablet. Parents can indicate within the registration form if a loaned tablet is needed. There is no charge to camper families.
General Release and Camper Expectations
Click here to view the waivers and releases that parents/guardians and campers must agree to within the camper registration form.
Download Zoom on the device that is being used for Winter Blast Virtual camp.
If you will be using a desktop or laptop
- Download Zoom Client for Meetings: https://zoom.us/download
- View this tutorial on how to use Zoom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz8E3O9eHCo
If you will be is using an iPad or tablet
- Download Zoom Cloud Meetings (free) from the application store
- View this tutorial for how to use Zoom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVQ2v9sbte0
If you are borrowing a device from Camp Odayin, it will already have Zoom downloaded.
Note that using a phone for meeting is discouraged because you will be unable to view everyone and/or draw on the screen.
Virtual Camp will be hosted using the online video communication platform, Zoom. Click to learn more about Zoom. To ensure Camp Odayin’s Zoom sessions are secure, the following settings will be in place: (The Host is a camp director. Participants are campers and/or staff. Zoom meeting is the virtual camp session.)
- Lock the meeting: No new participants can join the meeting, even if they have the password and meeting ID, once it is locked by the host.
- Two factor authentications: A password will be required to view the meeting ID within our private webpage and to join the Zoom meeting.
- Remove disruptive participants: The hosts can remove a participant. Only the hosts can allow removed participants to rejoin. (see Camper Code of Conduct for more details).
- Put ‘em on Hold: The hosts can put everyone else on hold by disabling the participants’ video and audio connections….so we can surprise you with a celebrity guest, of course!!
- Disable video/Mute participants: The hosts can turn off someone’s video or mute/unmute participants to block unwanted, distracting, or inappropriate gestures.
- Disable private chat: All in-meeting chats will be for everyone’s participation and viewing. Only the hosts can send a message privately to a participant.
- Waiting Room: The virtual doors will open when the host authenticates each participant and starts the meeting. In the meantime, you will register and wait in the virtual “waiting room” until the Zoom meeting begins.
Contact email@example.com with any questions about Winter Blast Virtual Camp.