October 16-17 – Registration Deadline September 30
November 6-7 – Registration Deadline October 20
Virtual Family Camp is for families with a child with heart disease, who would benefit from connecting with other families who share similar health, emotional, and social concerns. Families who have a child in 12th grade or younger (no minimum age) are invited to attend. The charge for virtual Family Camp is $25 per family. If payment is a barrier to attending, there is an option to pay $0.
Camp Odayin hosts two Family Camp experiences that are typically held in different regions of the Midwest. In 2020, families are welcome to attend either virtual session, but may only attend one. The October virtual Family Camp is during the same weekend that we typically host Family Camp at Camp Wapo (near the Twin Cities) and the November dates are the same weekend that we typically host at Wonderland Camp (near Milwaukee/Chicago). Consider registering for the session that corresponds with the location you will attend during years to come, so you can connect with familiar families in-person next year!
Virtual Family Camp is a family experience and an adult is expected to be present online with any registered children throughout the program. Registered families should plan to attend the three real-time gatherings (Friday night, Saturday morning and evening). All other activities are optional. Registered families will receive a mailed “Family Camp in a Box” filled with fun supplies for the weekend! Online gatherings will occur using the Zoom platform, hosted by Odayin staff. Meeting invitations and access information will be provided via a password-protected webpage.
All times are Central Standard Time and sessions are hosted on Zoom
– 6:30-8:00 pm – Evening Program
– 8:00 am – Optional Parent Coffee Club*
– 10:00-11:00 am – Morning Activity
– Optional, pre-recorded and self-directed activities available during the afternoon
– 6:30-8:00 pm – Talent Show and Closing Program
* This is the only virtual Family Camp session that does not include the entire family.
Virtual Family Camp will kick off with an evening program from 6:30 to 8:00 pm (CST) on Friday night, featuring family introductions and interactive activities. On Saturday, we’ll offer a full day of Family Camp fun with a mix of live and pre-recorded activities. Real-time gatherings will be offered in the morning, including the ever popular (optional) Parent Coffee Club at 8:00 am (CST) and a morning activity for the whole family from 10:00 to 11:00 (CST). Pre-recorded videos will be available during the afternoon, with a range of activities that families can do together. Saturday evening, we will gather again from 6:30 to 8:00 pm (CST) for a closing program including an talent show. (Families will have an optional opportunity to submit videos of their talents prior to Saturday evening).
Camp Odayin will provide free loaned tablets (ie: iPad or Microsoft Surface) to families who have unreliable or no internet connection or do not have a computer or tablet to use for virtual camp. To ensure the best virtual Family Camp experience, using a phone is not recommended. Tablets will be mailed directly to families’ homes for use during the two days of virtual Family Camp. The Monday after virtual Family Camp ends, families must use the pre-paid shipping label to return the loaned tablet. Parents can indicate within the registration form if a loaned tablet is needed. There is no charge to families.
If your family will be using a desktop or laptop:
Download Zoom Client for Meetings: https://zoom.us/download
View this tutorial on how to use Zoom on a desktop computer or laptop:
If your family is using an ipad:
Download Zoom Cloud Meetings (free) from the application store
View this tutorial for how to use the Zoom app on an iPad:
If you are borrowing a device from Camp Odayin, it will already have Zoom downloaded.
Note that using a phone for a camper session is discouraged because your camper will be unable to view everyone and draw on the screen.
Virtual Familiy Camp will be hosted using the online video communication platform, Zoom. Click to learn more about Zoom.
To ensure Camp Odayin’s Zoom sessions are secure, the following settings will be in place: (The Host is a camp director. Participants are campers and/or staff. Zoom meeting is the virtual Family Camp session.)
- Lock the meeting: No new participants can join the meeting, even if they have the password and meeting ID, once it is locked by the host.
- Two factor authentications: A password will be required to view the meeting ID within our private webpage and to join the Zoom meeting.
- Remove disruptive participants: The hosts can remove a participant. Only the hosts can allow removed participants to rejoin.
- Put ‘em on Hold: The hosts can put everyone else on hold by disabling the participants’ video and audio connections….so we can surprise you periodically, of course!!
- Disable video/Mute participants: The hosts can turn off someone’s video or mute/unmute participants to block unwanted, distracting, or inappropriate gestures.
- Waiting Room: The virtual doors will open when the host authenticates each participant and starts the meeting. In the meantime, you will register and wait in the virtual “waiting room” until the Zoom meeting begins.
Please contact email@example.com with any virtual Family Camp questions.