October 22 & 23, 2021
While we wish that Family Camp could be hosted in person, we will be gathering virtually instead to ensure the health and safety of our Odayin heart family. We’ll be offering one weekend of campy fun online this year.
We are so excited to PARTY with our heart family!! This year, Camp Odayin turned 20 years old, so Virtual Family Camp is going to be a rad and rocking birthday celebration! Bring your whole family to the party!
The deadline to register is October 1st.
Virtual Family Camp is for families with a child with heart disease, who would benefit from connecting with other families who share similar health, emotional, and social concerns. Families who have a child in 12th grade or younger (no minimum age) are invited to attend. The charge for virtual Family Camp is $25 per family. If payment is a barrier to attending, there is an option to pay $0.
Virtual Family Camp is a family experience and an adult is expected to be present online with any registered children throughout the program. Registered families should plan to attend the three real-time gatherings (Friday night, Saturday morning and evening). All other activities are optional. Registered families will receive a mailed “Family Camp in a Box” filled with fun supplies for the weekend! Online gatherings will occur using the Zoom platform, hosted by Odayin staff. Meeting invitations and access information will be provided via a password-protected webpage.
In 2022, we’ll be looking forward to once again gathering in person during two Family Camp weekends – near the Twin Cities in Amery, WI and near Milwaukee/Chicago in Camp Lake, WI.
All times are Central Time and sessions are hosted on Zoom
Friday, October 22nd
– 6:00-7:30 pm – Evening Program
Saturday, October 23rd
– 8:00-9:00 am – Optional Parent Coffee Club*
– 10:00-11:00 am – Morning Activity
– 1:00-2:00 pm – Optional Teen Time*
– Optional self-directed activities available during the afternoon
– 6:00-7:30 pm – Talent Show and Closing Program
* These are the only virtual Family Camp sessions that do not include the entire family.
Virtual Family Camp will kick off with an evening program from 6:00 to 7:30 pm (CT) on Friday night, featuring family introductions and interactive activities. On Saturday, we’ll offer a full day of Family Camp fun with a mix of live and pre-recorded activities. Real-time gatherings will be offered throughout Saturday, including the ever popular optional Parent Coffee Club at 8:00 am (CT), a morning activity for the whole family from 10:00 to 11:00 (CT), and optional Teen Time from 1:00 to 2:00 (CT). In addition, a range of self-guided activities will be available for families to do together during the afternoon or on Sunday. Saturday evening, we will gather again from 6:00 to 7:30 pm (CT) for a closing program including a talent show. (Families will have the option to submit videos of their talents prior to Saturday evening).
Camp Odayin will provide free loaned iPads to families who have unreliable or no internet connection or do not have a computer or tablet to use for virtual camp. To ensure the best virtual Family Camp experience, using a phone is not recommended. iPads will be mailed directly to families’ homes for use during the two days of virtual Family Camp. The Monday after virtual Family Camp ends, families must use the pre-paid shipping label to return the loaned iPad. Parents can indicate within the registration form if a loaned iPad is needed. There is no charge to families.
If your family will be using a desktop or laptop:
Download Zoom Client for Meetings: https://zoom.us/download
View this tutorial on how to use Zoom on a desktop computer or laptop:
If your family is using an ipad:
Download Zoom Cloud Meetings (free) from the application store
View this tutorial for how to use the Zoom app on an iPad:
If you are borrowing a device from Camp Odayin, it will already have Zoom downloaded.
Note that using a phone for a camper session is discouraged because your camper will be unable to view everyone and draw on the screen.
Virtual Familiy Camp will be hosted using the online video communication platform, Zoom. Click to learn more about Zoom.
To ensure Camp Odayin’s Zoom sessions are secure, the following settings will be in place: (The Host is a camp director. Participants are campers and/or staff. Zoom meeting is the virtual Family Camp session.)
- Lock the meeting: No new participants can join the meeting, even if they have the password and meeting ID, once it is locked by the host.
- Two factor authentications: A password will be required to view the meeting ID within our private webpage and to join the Zoom meeting.
- Remove disruptive participants: The hosts can remove a participant. Only the hosts can allow removed participants to rejoin.
- Put ‘em on Hold: The hosts can put everyone else on hold by disabling the participants’ video and audio connections….so we can surprise you periodically, of course!!
- Disable video/Mute participants: The hosts can turn off someone’s video or mute/unmute participants to block unwanted, distracting, or inappropriate gestures.
- Waiting Room: The virtual doors will open when the host authenticates each participant and starts the meeting. In the meantime, you will register and wait in the virtual “waiting room” until the Zoom meeting begins.
Please contact email@example.com with any virtual Family Camp questions.