Camp Odayin’s Hearts@Home virtual camp is for children with heart disease in grades 1-11, who would benefit from connecting with other young people who may share similar health, emotional, and social concerns. Campers have an opportunity to meet new heart friends, play games, participate in a (optional) talent show, and more. All campers will receive a mailed “camp in a box” which includes Odayin gear, activity supplies, and more! Virtual camp is hosted using the Zoom platform with camp counselors and Odayin leadership staff.
2023 Dates and Times
Friday, August 18th: 6:30-8:00 pm CT
Saturday August 19th: 9:00-10:00 am, 1:00-2:30 pm, 6:30-8:00 pm CT
Hearts@Home includes 4-5 hours of time online in big and small groups. Optional self-guided and family-friendly activities will be provided to enjoy between sessions. Campers are expected to attend each online meet-up for both days, one on Friday evening and three on Saturday, keep their video on, and stay for the entire segment. Our goal is to build connections and develop friendships, so we encourage you to only register if your schedule is cleared for the entire virtual camp session.
Camp Odayin will provide free loaned iPads to families who have unreliable or no internet connection or do not have a computer or tablet the camper could use for virtual camp. iPads will be mailed directly to campers’ homes for use during the two days of virtual camp. The day after the virtual camp session ends, families must use the pre-paid shipping label to return the loaned iPad. Parents/guardians can indicate within the registration form if a loaned iPad is needed. There is no charge to camper families.
Payment & Financial Support
The cost for a camper to attend camp is $25, or whatever a family chooses to pay. Payment options within registration start at $0 to ensure that cost is not a barrier to joining us. Families who choose to pay more than $25 receive a tax receipt for their additional contribution. If you have questions on the cost of camp, contact the Camp Odayin office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photos from Past Sessions
Click to view photos from 2022 Hearts@Home.
Thinking About Coming to Camp?
Eligibility Guidelines to Attend Camp Odayin
Camp Odayin’s Eligibility Guidelines webpage has all the details regarding who is eligible for each of our camp programs. As always, if you have questions about possible accommodations for your child or camp eligibility, please email email@example.com or call 651.351.9185.
What if my child cannot join for one or more of the meetings?
We encourage your camper to clear their schedules so it’s possible to be present for each and every online meeting. However, we do know that things come up last minute. In these cases, you’ll contact the Camp Director directly.
Can my child’s family participate?
We expect campers to sign on independently and plan some of the programs to include family and/or siblings. However, if it would enhance your child’s experience, we welcome family to join in!
Registration and Camp FAQs
There is one step to register for Hearts@Home virtual camp. The H@H application is separate from the residential camp application, and approval from your cardiologist clinic is not required. Go to https://portal.campodayin.org/ for online registration. The form must be completed in one sitting because information cannot be saved.
When can I expect to find out if my camper has been accepted?
- Registration for virtual camp is due June 1st
- Program Directors will review applications in early June
- Accepted campers will hear about acceptance and additional camp details in early June
What is the best place to broadcast?
We suggest your child finds a quiet, comfortable place to join the online meetings, such as their house.
Virtual Camp will be hosted using the online video communication platform, Zoom. We recommend logging on to Zoom using a computer or tablet. A phone for virtual camp is discouraged because your camper will be unable to view everyone and draw on the screen.
To ensure Camp Odayin’s Zoom sessions are secure, the following settings will be in place: (The Host is a camp director. Participants are campers and/or staff. Zoom meeting is the virtual camp session.)
- Lock the meeting: No new participants can join the meeting, even if they have the password and meeting ID, once it is locked by the host.
- Two factor authentications: A password will be required to view the meeting ID within our private webpage and to join the Zoom meeting.
- Remove disruptive participants: The hosts can remove a participant. Only the hosts can allow removed participants to rejoin. (See Camper Code of Conduct for more details).
- Put ‘em on Hold: The hosts can put everyone else on hold by disabling the participants’ video and audio connections….so we can surprise you with a celebrity guest, of course!!
- Disable video/Mute participants: The hosts can turn off someone’s video or mute/unmute participants to block unwanted, distracting, or inappropriate gestures.
- Disable private chat: All in-meeting chats will be for everyone’s participation and viewing. Only the hosts can send a message privately to a participant.
- Waiting Room: The virtual doors will open when the host authenticates each participant and starts the meeting. In the meantime, you will register and wait in the virtual “waiting room” until the Zoom meeting begins.