Camp Odayin would not exist without the generosity of the amazing people who donate their time! Throughout the year, we are joined by exceptional volunteers to support and guide our campers as volunteer nurses, camp counselors and cardiologists at camp. We welcome volunteer staff at Winter Camp in February, Residential Camp in July, and Family Camp in October and November.
Camp volunteers must be at least 20 years old. In order to foster independence, we do not permit family members of Odayin campers to volunteer during a camp session when their relative will be a camper. We welcome family members of campers to apply and attend during a different session. Please email us for information or to be added to our mailing list to receive information about volunteer opportunities.
COVID-19 & Vaccination Requirement
At this time, the following COVID vaccination policy has been approved for all campers, volunteers, and staff: Full vaccination (per CDC guidelines) is required to attend any in-person, overnight youth camp. There is no vaccination requirement to attend virtual camp. Accepted volunteers will need to have received full doses (two for Pfizer or Moderna or one dose for Johnson & Johnson) of the vaccine and a booster shot by June 15th.
Masking and testing requirements will be decided and communicated prior to the camp session. Additional COVID-19 precautions can be viewed HERE.
Summer Camp Applications
Our summer camp sessions are staffed with volunteer camp counselors, nurses, and cardiologists. Residential Camp includes three five-day sessions in Crosslake, MN and one five-day session in Elkhorn, WI. Hearts@Home Virtual Camp includes a Friday evening session and sessions throughout the day on Saturday. Most volunteers commit to a single camp session, but must be available for all camp days and staff training prior to camp. Our priority is to attract, develop, and retain a diverse staff that represents and supports our amazing campers.
In addition to the application, interested volunteers are interviewed and must provide three references and background check authorization. A criminal record does not automatically disqualify an applicant from interview eligibility. Camp Odayin will consider applicants with a criminal record on a case by case basis.
Camp Dates, Locations, and Staff Training
In addition to the camp dates, staff are required to attend the staff training that corresponds with the session(s) during which they are volunteering.
MN Residential Camp
- July 5-9*: Namekagon session (grades 9-11) *Tues-Sat – All positions filled
- July 11-15: Flambeau session (grades 6-8) – All positions filled
- July 18-22: Chippewa session (grades 1-6) – All positions filled
On the morning of camp, staff are expected to ride the bus with campers from the hotel in Bloomington, to camp in Crosslake, MN.
Staff training is at the Airport Marriott Hotel in Bloomington, MN.
– Namekagon & Flambeau staff training: Sunday, June 26, 1:00-6:00pm.
– Chippewa staff training: Sunday, July 17, 1:00-6:00pm.
WI Residential Camp
- July 25-29 (Nokasippi: Grades 1-11) – All positions filled
– Staff training is at Camp Lutherdale in Elkhorn, WI on Sunday, July 24, 3:00-8:00 pm. Dinner will be served. We will spend the night at camp and then bus out to registration sites in Chicago and Milwaukee Monday morning to pick up campers. If sleeping at camp on Sunday night does not fit in your schedule, we can accommodate.
Hearts@Home Virtual Camp
Online / Zoom
- August 19-20 (Grades 1-11) – All positions filled
Virtual Camp time online includes one evening session on Friday and sessions throughout the day and evening on Saturday.
– Staff training is on Zoom: Wednesday, August 17, 5:30*-8:00pm (CST). *5:30-6:00 is only required for volunteers who are new as Hearts@Home staff. All staff must be in attendance from 6:00-8:00.
Volunteer Position Descriptions
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about volunteering or the application process.
Winter Camp Applications
Winter Camp is staffed with volunteer camp counselors, nurses and cardiologists. The application for Winter Camp is available in December and is due in January. Volunteer and camper transportation is provided to/from camp in Amery, WI from Bloomington, MN. Please email us for information or to be added to our email list to receive an application.
There are transportation funds available to accepted staff members, please contact email@example.com to inquire!
Camp Odayin serves all people regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status.